Prostatitis is an inflammatory process located in the prostate gland. This pathology is quite common and is often diagnosed in the reproductive age of men. The prostate (the second name for the prostate gland) is located below the bladder and partially surrounds the urinary tube (urethra). Therefore, even a mild dysfunction of this organ leads to disturbances in the functioning of the genitourinary system.
The reasons for the development of prostatitis
Prostatitis is classified as an inflammatory process, but this does not mean that it is caused exclusively by pathogenic microorganisms. Doctors (andrologists are engaged in diseases of the male reproductive system) identify several reasons for the development of the pathology in question:
- Stagnation of blood in the small pelvis. This refers to the violation of blood microcirculation in the prostate gland and nearby organs, which causes an increase in the organ. A violation can occur against the background of a sedentary lifestyle, obesity (it does not have to be critical), in the postoperative period.
- Infection of the genitourinary system. Very often, when examining a patient with prostatitis, doctors isolate gonococci, staphylococci, chlamydia and Trichomonas. Very rarely, an infection can penetrate the prostate gland in the context of a sore throat or flu; in this case, the inflammatory process in question is differentiated as a complication.
- Regular trauma to the pelvic organs. For this reason, prostatitis develops in drivers: they constantly receive a load on the perineum, the prostate gland experiences tremors and vibrations.
- The entry of bacteria through biological body fluids. In each person's body there are colonies of bacteria that live in the intestines and urethra. In the normal state, they are absolutely harmless and only under favorable conditions (weakening of the immune system, long-term use of drugs, chronic diseases, human immunodeficiency virus) do they become pathogenic and cause inflammatory processes. These bacteria can enter the prostate gland through blood or lymph.
In addition, when diagnosing an inflammatory process in the prostate gland, factors that serve as provocateurs of pathology can also be considered:
- regular hypothermia - this may be due to the peculiarities of working conditions or ignoring the rules for wearing clothes at specific periods of the year;
- disorders in the endocrine system - excessive or insufficient production of male hormones, diagnosed diabetes mellitus;
- too active sex life, as well as prolonged abstinence - the prostate gland is depleted;
- any chronic disease - there are officially registered cases of the development of prostatitis against the background of bronchitis, caries, cystitis, untreated urological infections.
Symptoms of the inflammatory process.
Andrologists distinguish between the main and indirect signs of a developing inflammatory process in the prostate gland. The main symptoms are pronounced:
- urination becomes more frequent, regardless of the amount of fluid consumed;
- the moment of urine output is painful, the man experiences cramps and burning in the urethra;
- body temperature (hyperemia) rises to critical levels.
These symptoms are very quickly joined by a burning sensation in the area of the entire perineum and pain when defecating.
The indirect signs of inflammation in the prostate gland are not so noticeable, but men should not ignore them:
- ejaculation is accelerated too much: the time of sexual intercourse is reduced;
- an erection can be quite long at night;
- decreased sexual desire, partial or complete;
- White "flakes" or "threads" appear in the urine.
Please note: these indirect signs indicate the beginning of the development of the inflammatory process in question: it responds well to treatment and proceeds without complications.
Prostatitis is classified into acute and chronic forms of the course, each of which has its own characteristics.
Acute prostatitis always starts suddenly and manifests itself:
- an increase in temperature;
- prolonged pain in the perineum;
- frequent need to use the bathroom;
- releasing a very small amount of urine with a feeling of a full bladder.
Please note: urinary retention is considered the most dangerous condition in the acute form of the inflammatory process of the prostate gland. In this case, the man will feel a strong urge to go to the toilet, but no urine will be released even with strong effort. Acute retention of urine is accompanied by severe pain in the area of the anatomical location of the bladder, a feeling of pressure; patients describe their condition "now the bladder will burst. "The condition requires immediate medical attention, which consists of using a catheter: it is inserted into the urethra and bladder, literally "pushing" on the swollen gland. As soon as the catheter reaches the bladder, urine output begins, and the patient is immediately relieved, his condition normalizes for a short time.
This type of pathology under consideration is almost asymptomatic: occasionally a man experiences short-term pain in the perineum (similar to lumbago), he notices changes in sexual relations; it can be lengthened or contracted. Also, the patient becomes irritable, night sleep is restless, the stream of urine may be weakened (this is due to the narrowing of the urinary tract), in the morning there may be white clots in the urine in the form of flakes or threads.
Please note: the chronic form of the inflammatory process in the prostate gland can develop imperceptibly to the patient himself. The fact is that at a young age, acute prostatitis progresses with mild symptoms, and if a young man likes to drink alcohol or is too interested in his work, then he does not have time to pay attention to changes in urination or pain. newspaper in the perineum. The symptoms of acute prostatitis will disappear with time, but this does not mean that the disease has regressed, it has simply become chronic.
Methods for the treatment of prostatitis.
Treatment of the inflammatory process in the prostate gland should be carried out only under the supervision of an andrologist. Not only does it diagnose prostatitis itself (its symptoms are often identical to those of prostate cancer), but it also reveals the true cause of its occurrence. In general, several different therapies can be used to treat inflammation of the prostate.
With prostatitis, antibacterial agents (antibiotics) can be prescribed, but only if, during the examination, pathogenic bacteria were isolated and recognized as the cause of the development of pathology. Simultaneously with antibiotics, the patient is prescribed probiotics or prebiotics, drugs that normalize the intestinal microflora and resist the development of pathological processes in it.
If the inflammatory process began as a result of the negative effects of external factors (hypothermia, trauma), non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs will be prescribed.
In case of hormonal disorders, a man must undergo a course of hormone therapy.
Please note: drug treatment is highly variable, therefore it must be selected individually; in this case, self-medication is strictly prohibited.
Treatment of inflammation of the prostate must be comprehensive. And against the background of the use of drugs, it will be effective to carry out certain physiotherapy procedures:
- Electrical stimulation: accelerates metabolic processes, causes a more active production of hormones and restores the structure of the gland.
- Magnetotherapy is a painless procedure that helps reduce the level of inflammation and eliminate swelling of the prostate gland.
- Massage of the prostate gland - carried out only after taking medical measures in connection with acute inflammation, the procedure is painful, but very effective.
Please note: recipes from the traditional medicine category should not be the only method of treatment; they can only speed up the therapeutic process and enhance the effect of taking drugs and conducting physical therapy.
The most effective and safest methods of alternative treatment include:
- Eat pumpkin seeds. They contain zinc, which is an essential element for men's health, so for prostatitis it is necessary to ingest 30 raw seeds 30 minutes before meals during the course of therapy.
- Pumpkin honey balls. Peel 100 grams of raw pumpkin seeds, grind them in a meat grinder (or in a blender, but not into small crumbs) and mix with 200 grams of honey. Roll small balls of the resulting dough and store in the refrigerator. Before eating (30 minutes), you need to eat 1-2 balls; it is not necessary to chew it, it is better to dissolve it slowly. Treatment with this prescription continues until the symptoms of prostatitis disappear.
- A decoction of hazelnut leaves. You can collect hazelnut leaves yourself, or you can buy dried raw materials at the pharmacy, a glass of boiling water is needed for a tablespoon of the source. The broth is prepared like normal tea for 20 minutes, filtered and taken in 50 ml at least 4 times a day. Please note: hazelnut bark is also sold in pharmacies; It can also be used in the treatment of prostatitis and according to the same recipe. But keep in mind that for the crust, the prep time is doubled.
- Parsley juice. Prepare it with the green leaves of the plant and take 1 dessert spoon 3 times a day before meals.
- Parsley seed broth. You need to take 1 tablespoon of parsley seeds, pour 400 ml of boiling water and leave for 2 hours (you can do this in a thermos). You need to take the broth every day in the morning and in the evening in the amount of 1 tablespoon.
In any case, no matter how safe the remedy may seem, you should first consult your doctor. For example, if a man, in addition to prostatitis, has cholelithiasis, then the use of pumpkin seeds is strictly prohibited for him; any appointment is made on a strictly individual basis.
Diet and lifestyle
To get the best result during therapeutic measures in relation to prostatitis, you need to follow a certain diet. You are supposed to exclude from the diet fatty meat, smoked and too salty dishes, cakes and chocolate. The menu can include fish and shellfish, milk and its derivatives, steamed vegetables. It is very useful for prostatitis to use fresh juices of vegetables and fruits; They will help strengthen and restore the immune system.
During therapy, you need to exclude alcohol and lead an active lifestyle; At the very least, do morning exercises, walk more, and shed the extra pounds.
Prostatitis is not considered a life-threatening disease for men, but ignoring its symptoms can lead to the development of serious complications. One of the most difficult consequences is male infertility and loss of erectile function, which often occurs with long-term chronic prostatitis.